[Novalug] Red Hat Network (RHN) technical information -- WAS: The "value" proposition of Red Hat

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Wed May 12 16:01:27 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 10:09 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> To be perfect fair to CentOS, I'm not going to jump to any conclusion
> other
> than CentOS strives for and, for all intents and purposes, achieves
> bit-for-bit
> compatibility with upstream EL -- sans delays in the build process.  I
> don't
> think anyone wants to suggest any ambiguity on that matter.

Agreed - that's their goal. However, one thing is your goal, and another
is if you get there: http://bugs.centos.org/my_view_page.php is a nice
list of types of issues you'll find with CentOS; they're usually quickly
corrected but you're still not getting the "EL" side of things as with
the pay-for service.

Is the little delay and risk worth it? Well, that's up to the
individual. Just remember, without RHEL there would be no CentOS.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
Ok, I'm just uploading the new version of the kernel, v1.3.33, also
known as "the buggiest kernel ever".
	-- Linus Torvalds