[Novalug] Good data recovery (reasonably priced)?

Greg F gregfaust@gmail.com
Tue May 11 08:41:35 EDT 2010

Foremost is a great tool for data carving (arguably, the best tool
available).

http://foremost.sourceforge.net/

There is a foremost package for most distros, but if you install from tar.gz
you can have a look at the foremost.conf for examples of how to extend
foremost to new file types using the bytecode for the file headers and
footers, plus a bunch of examples for common file types are included.

I ran this tool on an crashed laptop for a small business I support and the
amount of data recovered was SCARY!!!  It's been a year since then and
they're probably still sorting out the old data.