[Novalug] inetd/xinetd on F12

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Mon May 10 17:26:23 EDT 2010

hi,
I wanted to install telnetd and found it's not on
the F12 DVD.  I then D/L'd it and found it
depends on  xinetd.  Ignoring for a moment that
telnet is "insecure" and it's preferred not to install
it, I have a Q:

What would be several examples of other "well known"
programs that depended on xinetd ? (since they're not
in Fedora anymore)

Exactly how does xinetd different than "network" as far
as starting net programs?  I recall something about a program
used as a single point "wake up" that would then wake up
other (net type ) programs when needed.

thx,
Walt......