[Novalug] Verizon FIOS vs Speakeasy vs whoever

Gopher gopher@3wa.org
Sat Mar 27 23:00:35 EDT 2010

I'm re-evaluating my monthly finances and thought it was time to
evaluate my current internet service to see if I can go up in download
speed and down in prices. I've had SDSL through Speakeasy for about 8
years and have loved every minute of it. I've got 4 static IPs, business
class service (24 hr SLA) and 1.1Mbps up and down. On top of all this,
I've got about $210 per month bill to show for it. Yes, it's high, but
for me 'net access is a necessity.

I called Verizon and asked about their FIOS offerings.  In short, I can
get their business class FIOS with 25Mbps up + down with 5 static IPs
for about $125 a month (I forgot to ask about the SLA time).

I called Speakeasy and I can move to their ADSL system and get 6Mbps
down/768 up w/ 4 static IPs and a 36 hr SLA for about the same price as
Verizon.

I have to be honest, I love Speakeasy - they are truly a company which I
feel actually gives a damn about their customers.  Any time there was a
problem they jumped on it and fixed it ASAP (hell, most of the time it
was ultimately Verizon's fault). So, I would actually feel bad about
going somewhere else.  However, for almost the same cost, I can get a
significant boost in speeds, and then my wallet starts crying.

Then there's my absolute loathing for Verizon; I have a landline through
them (not quite ready to cut that cord, call me a coward - I'm OK with
that) and a cell phone (I admit they do have damn good coverage
everywhere I go) but I hate the animosity they treat their customers
with. I really do not want to hand over any more of my money to Verizon.

So here's the questions:

- Are there other players in town I should talk to for offerings and prices?
- What are peoples experiences with Verizon FIOS?
- Am I just crazy to even consider leaving Speakeasy?

My requirements:

- Must have minimum of 3 static IPs
- Must have no restrictions on open ports/traffic types: I want to run
web servers and mail servers at my house
- Fast SLA response time (within 48 hrs - I despise downtime)
- Fast download time, minimum of 1Mbps. (No, I don't need 25Mbps
up/down, but I wouldn't mind ;)
- Upload time isn't so critical, I don't have much outbound traffic
these days
- No download cap, or at least a reasonably high one
- I am very happy with my Dish TV, so I do not need, or want, any cable
TV/FIOS bundle

Thx,
Gopher.