[Novalug] script question

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Wed Mar 24 12:48:47 EDT 2010

 	Wow! Talk about hitting a jackpot -- or a gold mine! I'm
impressed out of my ever-lovin' mind that people can toss off
such sterling disquisitions at the drop of a hat.

 	Btw, the comparison to an old fashioned macro hit home:
even Jo & I used to do those at work all the time (on original
386s and 486s, in OS/2, connecting to the LC catalog). But I can
see that these scripts are a lot more powerful: my ancient math
degree, fifty years old next year, also still hits home
occasionally -- or at least the habits of thinking it gave me do.

 	Also, I see that I'm going to need another newer book a/o
tutorial. No doubt I could find several of each readily enough --
but is there a canonical one, or a general favorite specifically
for handing to beginners?

Question on that backup script:

 	There are certainly servers at my domain; but I don't run
them, nor even have a server at home. My current practice, if it
can be called that, is to swap out external USB hard drives
between home and safe deposit box, ideally every couple months.

 	When I plug the USB cable into one of my machines, it
automounts it, showing about a dozen filesystems of about twenty
gigs each; an empty one will hold /home on any of my PCs with
room to spare. I am able to copy directories into these, though
sometimes only as root.

 	(Do I need to change ownership, or permissions, or what
on those filesystems?)

 	How do I tell the script to put the backup on one of
those? Replace "remote.backup.com" with the path to one such
filesystem as shown on the PC that the external drive is plugged
into? Is it that straightforward?

PS : reading a script?

 	My ~/bin already contained an executable, which I have no
recollection of. gedit couldn't handle it; upon experimentation,
I got it open with something called KWrite, which shows :

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
my $url_from_pan = $ARGV[0];
my $command = "Terminal -e 'alpine -url " . $url_from_pan . "'";
system($command);

 	Can anybody tell from that what it is or does?

What do they know of country, who only country know?