[Novalug] And it's slow too.

Alan Grimes agrimes@speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 21 01:22:43 EDT 2010

I just ran a benchmark on the "new and improved" block system.

When I sync portage, I found that things go smoother if I first load all
the file headers into cache. This process invariably used to take 4 1/2
minutes on my old configuration (+/- 15 seconds) under all conditions.

I just cleared the cache and ran it while I read RSS feeds.

##############
leenooks ~ # time ls -R /usr/portage > /dev/null

real    5m37.287s
user    0m1.256s
sys     0m8.445s
##############

What say you, penguins? The new code is a full minute slower than what I
had been running previously!!!

In other news, deep meditation revealed the answer to why everything is
given the same name under the new driver. The answer appears to be that
the new architecture is so transparent that the important information
about the physical location and routing is prematurely discarded in the
stack where it should (and needs to be) readily accessible to the
administrator. =\

So some of my questions have been answered though my assessment of the
system remains the same, it sucks. Even if you think I don't need to
know which cable is actually driving which logical volume, there's no
way you can insist that I should be happy about loosing a full minute
worth of performance!!! =P

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.