[Novalug] Scanner

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Thu Mar 18 23:05:18 EDT 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010 10:29:23 pm Michael Hans wrote:
> I don't totally grok the 'woe is me' meme i'm sure your attempting but I
> will say this, Linux is a savior in my house. My HP 1018 Laser Jet doesn't
> work with my MacBook Pro UNLESS Linux HP client first soft-boots and
> uploads it's firmware. Once the firmware is loaded and the printer stays
> powered on my MacBook works fine, if it is powered down (which I do for
> energy saving) and restarted it needs linux to 'straighten it out'
>
> Michael

Well, I got my scanner working. After some digging through the HP web site I
found the section for Linux support.

http://www.hp.com/go/linuxprinting

I entered the model information and my version of Linux (kubuntu 8.10) and got
a message that the version of HPLIP that I had was out of date and didn't
support this model. I downloaded a shell script which, when run, installed
everything I needed.

Now I have it scanning multiple pages just fine. What I haven't figured out is
how to automate the process of putting those pages into a single pdf file. At
the moment,I'm scanning them to a series of images that I save to disk. Then I
put the images into OO-writer and export the final document to a pdf file.

Anybody have a better idea?

Dan

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.