[Novalug] forgotten passwords

Maxwell Spangler maxlists@maxwellspangler.com
Mon Mar 15 23:02:46 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 22:30 -0400, greg pryzby wrote:
> not sure what is going on, but I forgot a few passwords over the
> weekend....

> someone else had admin and could reset one of them,

> the other is an luks encrypted partition. i think that data is lost
> (ok as it is an extra computer w/ just copies).

I have a LUKS encrypted USB keychain and for some reason trusty laptop
running Fedora 12 can't open it but netbook running Fedora 12 can.  Just
had this problem recently. With that in mind, you might try your LUKS
partition on another computer if possible to see if it opens using a
password you're trying that isn't being accepted. Just a thought.

> that said, if anyone has ideas on how to crack LUKS, let me know and
> we can try ;)
Hopefully for the rest of us you'll have no success with this ? :)

> any ideas for a way to save passwords? I never write them down so I am
> interested in a new system.

Come up with a system for passwords.  Such as for newegg.com

site name + activity + number important to you + something personal

neweggequipment5544ziggy

amazonbooks5544ziggy

?

--