[Novalug] Editors, indispensible features thereof.

Alan Grimes agrimes@speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 15 22:49:49 EDT 2010

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> There are countless CLI and GUI editors on Linux.  I would take the time
> to actually evaluate them.  Nano?  Man, that's a new one.  You compare
> power to something that has virtually no power, but a quick help at the
> bottom.

But that is the only feature I actually *REQUIRE*. =P
In this day and age, there's no excuse to not provide an on-screen menu.

I refuse to use any piece of software that doesn't provide basic
accommodation to the user. It's just not worth trying.

> In fact, that really makes me wonder if you do any evaluation, any
> reading, heed any suggestions at all when it comes to all the help and
> comments people try to provide you?  I really like to stop and help
> people, to great extents.

I tried vi, nearly lost my mind, -- never again.

emacs, -- could make it do some basic tasks, not very useful.

nano -- Quite usable, great utility for a large number of tasks, not
many features.

kwrite -- pretty good, haven't quite gotten the hang of it. Just doesn't
have the feel of a Real Editor...

kate: -- too many features to be an editor, not enough functionality to
be an IDE, useless software.

ed: kinda nostalgic, not hard to use but too cumbersome to do any real
work.

Texmacs: My preferred word processor despite the inability to type $ and
use tabs, produces really beautiful formatting. =)

Open office has some junk called a word processor but I haven't wasted
any time on it, even to evaluate it.

> But I think you may be the ultimate I've never encountered before.  I
> guess at this point you've effectively convinced me (and others) that
> whatever we say will go in one of your ears and out the other, but not
> before telling us how DOS was better, and how.

> All without the slightest reading or evaluation.  Honestly.

You ignore my evaluations. I looked at LVM and I can't recognize any
features that I actually require. What seems to have happened is that
the penguins have decided that everyone should use LVM (???) and
therefore they have manufactured a situation where it is unavoidable.

I want a system that is much simpler than the one I have now.
And the penguins want to make the system as complex as possible even
when there is no actual motivation to make the changes.

Ie, I want an extremely simple embedded developer's board with 16 gigs
of ram and 12 3ghz processors and 7 16-lane PCI-E slots. =P I want it to
haul the mail and nothing else.

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.