[Novalug] Device naming.

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 16:55:09 EDT 2010

I wouldn't mind having a program like this.
Does it need to run as root?
Can another program lock it out..?
and how does threading affect it ( if any, if known)

Walt...........

Forwarded Message: Re: [Novalug] Device naming.
Re: [Novalug] Device naming.
Monday, March 15, 2010 3:06 PM
From:
"Ed James" <edward.james@gmail.com>
To:
novalug@calypso.tux.org
All,

   One of my "fun projects" has been writing Java, then GTK+ GUIs to "directly"
access hardware via ioctl.  This allows me to click a GUI button to "UNLOCK
DRIVE DOOR", "OPEN TRAY", "CLOSE TRAY", "LOCK DRIVE DOOR",
"DISPLAY UPC", etc.  The program works on devices such as "/dev/cdrom",
"media/USB1", "dev'/fd0", etc.

   So, questions are, am I obsolete now because I refer to device names such
as "/dev/cdrom"?  I use old boxen, old RedHat installs because they do what
I want (for now).  How should I be "addressing" devices today, should I
decide to upgrade, and how would this make my life nicer?  Please don't
read anything into the questions, just take them literally.

Ed James