[Novalug] OT: Used Veg Oil

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Sun Mar 14 21:44:34 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 16:54 -0400, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> But...what exactly *IS* the tax? Given that MPG varies, but you pay the
> tax per gallon of fuel, it would appear that the tax is just an average.

Yes, it's not exact.  It's affixed to the gasoline one purchases.  Oh
well.  If you use used veggie oil, you are required to pay the state
taxes per gallon.  It's that simple -- the law says X cents per gallon.

> In fact, many jurisdictions are now seriously considering moving to a
> Miles Traveled tax because Hybrids and other soon to be available (Volt,
> Tesla) vehicles may use NO gas.

Huh?  Last time I checked, Volt was a plug-in hybrid.  Hybrids use gas.
In fact, they use fossil fuels (sometimes less efficiently than an ICE
if it's a plug-in -- but I won't go there).

> Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed
> wackers...I am paying Road Use Tax on them for not using the road either.

You can file forms and get refunds for those.