[Novalug] My weekend is RUINED!!! =(((

greg pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Sat Mar 6 12:06:21 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Alan Grimes <agrimes@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> You know, it actually occured to me the other day to publish a list of
> software that I actually liked, instead of ranting about linux again. I
> was starting to draft that message in my head, might even have written
> it... Then I was planning to spend some quality time with my project car
> and play a game called Star Ocean that I picked up the other day..
> (That's as good as weekends get in my neck of the woods). But then this
> morning happened.
>
> Yesterday evening the server at my company went down. (problem with the
> contacts in the memory sockets, the machine seems to date from the
> 2002-2003 era.) I took the opportunity to rip out the ancient SCSI CD-RW
> drive and put in a modern IDE drive.

I an not sure what the problem is and there is so much info that may or may
not be pertinent, I have no idea where to start.

This might be a helpful page for you to read so people can help you

1) This is old hardware and a long time ago, if you changed disks and didn't
go into the BIOS to find what new devices are connected to what cables,
things might not work.
2) It is unclear if the devices are using cable select or set to
primary/secondary (I recommend setting instead of letting the computer
figure it out-- this is hardware issue)
3) which distro are you using? Are you patched? Are you adding any extra
repos or software that isn't from the 'distro approved' repos?

Again, maybe that info is there, but I have no idea what the problem is and
what is really going on because of the way it is presented.

dmesg
is a great command and you can run it to see if the drives were found at
boot and what the device name is

if /etc/fstab is using UUID to mount stuff, that could be an issue. There
are many ways to mount devices these days. Some using identifiers on the
device, others use info from the hardware/mobo and others use labels set on
the drive when it is partitioned.

Because I had spent a great deal of quality time with the machine last
> time it went down, it booted just fine after the memory issue was resolved.
>
> So I go into work this morning, and log into it to see how the new drive
> was doing. It was connected to the second controller, in CS mode on a
> standard 80-pin cable even though the kernel didn't detect the cable
> correctly, possibly some other glitch...

 <SNIP>

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby

WEB:  http://www.RestonArtisTree.com/
TWTR: gpryzby