[Novalug] Booting from Flash Drives (long term data)

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Tue Jun 29 16:15:03 EDT 2010

Team,

I'm considering installing FreeNAS on a flash drive and booting from that
device.  I see this being a long term solution for me due to not wanting to
install a third drive in a PC just for use as a boot drive.

If you have been using a flash drive as a boot disk/drive for boxes (in any
situation), where the box runs 24/7, please share your results with the list.

I'm interested in:

1. How often reboots occur?
2. Have you had flash drives fail?
3. Would a SSD work better for me in this case?
4. Can I get an SSD in USB connector format?
5. Is it possible to have the Swap partition live on the flash drive?  Is this
recommended?
6. etc, etc,.

TIA,

Jay