[Novalug] survey request from college students

Wed Jun 23 11:34:22 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:58 AM, greg pryzby <greg@pryzby.org> wrote:
> Do you use Gnu/Linux? Do you consider yourself part of a larger Gnu/Linux
> free and open source software community? Whether you've just starting
> clicking around in Ubuntu or you've been tweaking your kernel for years, we
> are interested in learning about if, and how, you've learned (and possibly
> taught) as part of the Gnu/Linux community.

After just a few questions in, I find their questions pretty flawed.
Despite using Linux on the desktop exclusively for 3+ years, I
consider myself barely part of the Linux community. Sure, I use it but
I don't develop software specifically for it or submit more than a
handful of bug reports. On the other hand, I'm active in the PHP
community on a daily basis.. both with web2project and other things.

So questions like this confuse things:

Contribute patches to Gnu/Linux or other FOSS projects?
Contribute new code to or edit existing packages for Gnu/Linux or
other FOSS projects?

It's put me in the odd position of saying that I never look at the
source for GNU/Linux (I don't) but I regularly contribute patches to
"GNU/Linux or other FOSS projects" (almost daily).

Are we still that strange of an animal that we're hard to classify?

keith

--
D. Keith Casey Jr.
CTO, Blue Parabola, LLC