[Novalug] project proposals

Jeff Stoner leapfrog@freeshell.org
Mon Jun 21 11:25:29 EDT 2010

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010, Walt Smith wrote:

> By *good*,  I mean there must be some measure of quality.
> Perhaps a sub committee of volunteers or simply user votes
> to measure quality.

How do you define "quality?" Even documentation on something as narrow as
"logging in to a secured ftp server" can have very different levels - it's
all relative to the reader.

>From personal experience, I set up a ftps server the required TLS for
authentication and data transfers. I wrote up the docs that simply said
the server used explicit TLS. Many folks understood what that meant and
configured their clients accordingly. Others had no idea, so I created
another doc that explained what to set and included screen shots of
Filezilla's site configuration screen. Many folks still had no idea.
Finally, I made a video showing where to click in the UI and what to
type to configure Filezilla (and 2 other ftp clients) to allow it to
connect to the ftps server.

You have to define your audience and their experience level before you can
set quality standards.

--Jeff

"You cannot unsay a cruel word." - Unknown