[Novalug] Backup with rsync

Bob Copeland me@bobcopeland.com
Thu Jun 17 14:09:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Jim Ide <jimsmaillists@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu.
>
> Is rsync the best tool for this task, or is
> there something else you'd recommend?

I prefer rdiff-backup.  Still uses the rsync algorithm but makes it easy
to get at old snapshots and get permissions correct, etc.  I have also
tried using rsync (incl. remote rsync backup at rsync.net) and git-based
backup for these tasks, before going with rdiff-backup.

I have been using this setup for over a year with a cron job backing up
to a pair of USB drives (rotated between home and work).  The last time
I installed Ubuntu on my laptop I just did another backup first, spot-
checked it, wiped the machine, and did a restore.  It went flawlessly.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com