[Novalug] Backup with rsync

Jim Ide jimsmaillists@yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 08:31:30 EDT 2010

Hi,

I want to backup my /home and /etc directories
to /media/disk/backup, which is on an external
hard drive connected via USB cable.  I want to
keep permissions, owner, and timestamps for
each file and directory, and only copy the
files that have been added, updated, or deleted
since the last backup.

I am using Ubuntu.

Is rsync the best tool for this task, or is
there something else you'd recommend?

I have read the rsync tutorial at
http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/
It says I need to configure my computer
to be an 'rsync server'.  If I'm backing
up to a different disk on the same
machine, do I still need to do this?

What is the rsync command I should use to
perform this backup?  Is the following correct?

rsync --verbose --progress --stats \
      --recursive --times --perms --links --delete \
      /home/*       /media/disk/backup

Thank you,
Jim