[Novalug] [Ma-linux] Transferring Thunderbird from one PC to another

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Jun 14 14:58:15 EDT 2010

On 6/13/2010 4:53 PM, Jay Hart wrote:
> Person in my building just updated her PC from Windows ME to XP (yeah, I typed
> that right!!!).  Only thing I'm having major problems with at this point is
> Thunderbird.

Your Life is evidently Too Easy. The Gods have noticed your Arrogance.
Prepare to be visited by Hoards of Plagues.

But as far as Thunderbird goes, if you click on the Local Folders and
select View Settings For This Account, you will notice under the Server
Settings a field named Local Directory. Mine is D:\Documents and
Settings\JIM\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\p2d8mvc9.default\Mail\Local Folders

Evidently, it makes up a random directory (p2d8mvc9.default) to avoid
conflicts with other Mozilloids. Since I don't want my Real Mailbox on
the same partition as Windows, I use
E:\MAIL\JIM\qmuza3l5.slt\Mail\mail.Comcast.NET.

Every time I have to reload Windows I have to reset the Local Directory
field to find my old mail, but it has never been a problem.

You can safely delete the .msf files...they are simply indices that will
get rebuilt.

> TIA,
>
> Jay
JIM

P.S. Yeah, I know...I should be using Linux.