[Novalug] Transferring Thunderbird from one PC to another

Roger W. Broseus RogerB@bronord.com
Mon Jun 14 12:49:38 EDT 2010

Jay,

The following has worked for me:

Run t-burd and get it setup on the new machine. Don't bother to setup the
mail account(s), etc.

You will see a folder containing the profile (the profile folder has a
crazy name with letters and numbers in the name. Rename it to
whatever.it.is.old if you want a backup.

>From the PC with the stuff to be transferred, copy all of the folder
containing the profile - that is the folder containing the profile and not
just the profile folder and it's contents.

Put that in the in-place of the folder on the new PC.

I do this regularly to transfer email, address books, etc., to a laptop
for travel. Everything is duplicated on the Laptop. When I return home
from Florida, the Canadian Rockies, 'er where ever, I move this folder
back, lock-stock-and-barrel to my desktop and keep going.

I have several email accounts hooked into t-burd, including three gmail
accounts for which I use gmail's smtp servers - keeps my identity
gmail-ish.

This should even work if you move to a Win environment!

I'm answering this from memory, not logged-in on my desktop PC at the
moment. Questions? Drop me a line.

--
Roger Broseus
   RogerB@bronord.com