[Novalug] phone line

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 12:29:34 EDT 2010

Timing is everything..
in the sense that... today is the day that phone
service is scheduled to be restored to a friend of
mine in upper balto county who's service went out
( SURPRISE ) about 10 days ago.   The days of next day service
apparently are gone.

Several years ago, I heard stories from someone I dated
who worked for a regional phone service provider (I hesitate
to mention a name for legal reasons)  as a provisioner
in downtown Baltimore.  All "consumer" complaints were
put last with business placed first, and they had a big
shortage of provisioners they didn't intend to solve.

State and local regulation applies.

It is my belief that service will never get any better,
will only get worse, and "phone" service will end up begin a generic
IP service..but who actually allocates and routes the
phone numbers?  THats where the control will be.  Until some
new national policy regarding communications happens... which won't
for many years.

Today, even New Zealand govt announced the making of a new
nationwide network of fiber at 100 mbps at home because the local bells
insist on milking the copper wires with inferior service.

I still regard cell phones as toys.  They sound and work as bad or
worse than most $10 walkie talkies I used as a kid.

walt......

From:
"Bonnie Dalzell" <bdalzell@qis.net>
To:
"NOVALUG" <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
I am in Baltimore Co Maryland in a rural area.

We have regular land line phone service via Verizon.
There is no cable out here and no FIOS out here so Verizon sort of has a monopoly in our little corner of the world.

Bad thunderstorm Friday the 4th. Actually heard one of the non-electronic hardwired wall phones do a "snap" sound after a flash of light was outside.