[Novalug] re: fedora-12 updates (several don't)

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 15:58:59 EDT 2010

>On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:31:36AM -0700, Walt Smith wrote:
>>
>> ==
>> [...snip...]
>>
>> Some of the symptoms your system presented sound like what happens
>> when a system upgrade or a yum update is aborted prematurely.  You may
>> want to run the 'package-cleanup --problems' script (as root) to see
>> if anything's reported there.
>>
>> ==
>>

>> thanks for tip!!
>> I never heard of it, but gave it a try ...
>> here's result...-->
>>
>> Walt.........
>>

>> [waltech at waltech3 F12_Updates]$ package-cleanup --problems
>> Setting up yum
>> Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
>> Reading local RPM database
>> Processing all local requires
>> No problems found
>> [waltech at waltech3 F12_Updates]$
>
>OK, that's a good result.  The yum logs in /var/log/yum.log will tell
>you what yum actually did during the update.  Some updates require a
>reboot to get a working session back.  The more tinkering you do to
>packages outside packages, the more erratic your results can
>potentially be.  Also, you may want to check how a login session looks
>with a brand new user, to make sure you haven't induced some problem
>that's particular to your normal user account.
>
>Was this a fresh F12 install you just created, and then tried to
>update?  I ask because I have the ability to test such an installation
>here to see what happens.
>
>--
>Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/

First, the last time yum ran to completion was back in January ..
according to the log date.  The several things since then are D/L'd
then rpm'd..  ( do I hear a loud groan?  ).

Second, the basic sequence is that I installed via live DVD.
then I installed additional packages from a real install DVD
using rpm, then I installed a bunch of codecs using yum....

I installed a few other things such as R and octave, mono...from DVD
or the "Everything" Fedora online dir by D/L'g and RPMing..
( Do I hear more louder groaning ?).

Then I did nothing for awhile and got itchy ( yesterday)  to try
out a *few* of the "basic" updates such as kernel, gnome-this,
and system-config-that, and Firefox.

Long story ?   Is anyone awake ?

Box is mostly OK, now, but to
repeat, I'm hesitant to update anything ...
( and to repeat, I backed out of gnome-desktop )

Are you saying you could do a comm with my box from your
location and diagnose ??  Just curious..  (I have dynamic IP
over a dialup ( do I hear screaming from the other side of DC ??).