[Novalug] Thunderbird problem

cmhowe@patriot.net cmhowe@patriot.net
Thu Jul 29 20:46:57 EDT 2010

> cmhowe wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> I can send messages using Thunderbird but it doesn't offer me an
>> opportunity to receive them. Can anyone suggest how I can fix this
>> problem.
>>
>> Charlie

> I am a bit unclear as to your setup, however, have you setup outgoing
> mail accounts yet?

I can send mail.

> You need access to an smtp service (server) and requisite account to
> sent mail through the Mail Application.
>
> Are you having difficulties when sending, i.e. it doesn't allow you to
> send, at all?
>
> I think that a bit more description may help us isolate the issue that
> you are dealing with.

I can't receive mail. In the case of Evolution, for example, I can click
on send/receive. The first thing that happens is that the program checks
for a message waiting to be sent. If it is, it sends it. Then, it
downloads any messages that my ISP is holding. Web mail, i.e.,
SquirrelMail downloads anything as soon as it shows up.

Thunderbird 3, on the other hand, as it is configured, has a line below
the File/Edit/Go/Messages/Tools/Help line that displays icons Get Mail,
Write, Address book and Tag, then a text box with an icon (a magnifying
glass and the message "Search all messages". However, the Get Mail icon is
grayed out, as is Tag.

Somehow, I have to change the status of Get Mail from grayed out, i.e.,
inactive, to active.

FWIW, I can click on the Get Mail icon.

Charlie