[Novalug] [Ma-linux] FIOS available: should I?

John Holland jbholland@gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 15:39:19 EDT 2010

Thinking about this more.......

If I want to connect into my home network from outside, using say DynDNS
to make that reasonable, then, if I put Verizon's router first, don't I
have to use their firewall and port forwarding features? I can have my
inner router get its DNS from somewhere else, but the firewall/port
stuff wouldn't work on the inner router. If I want 22 forwarded to my
server, It won't make it past the verizon router unless I've opened it
and forwarded it. With my double NATTING, I'm not sure it will be able
to connect to the server, which would be behind the second router.

My router needs aren't that involved, but someone using DD-WRT or
OpenBSD might really like a lot of control over their connection. I'm
not sure how to get that with the Verizon router in front as it is doing
NATING etc.

I guess what I'm saying is one of the "client" ports on the Verizon
router is not a free and open connection to the external IP, it has
stuff in between.

BTW -

I have been able to get the TV stuff to work - channel guide, DVR, etc.
with the verizon router behind the commercial one.

Somebody on the list said they turned their Actiontec into a bridge.
Does TV stuff still work?  How does one do this?