[Novalug] Question 3. Multi-drive Laptop

Sean Spurrier sean.spurrier@gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 19:42:40 EDT 2010

Roger,

  My .02 cents here and I am just guessing but it was probably a Thinkpad
T60/61 or one of the T500 series, I use one of these (T500) with a device
Lenovo calls an "ultrabay" so I can remove my optical drive for the second
HD. The ultrabay might have cost 50 bucks from Lenovo
My use case is simple ..I run quite a few virtual machines to do testing and
the like and having your guests/isos/install directories on a second drive
with 2-3 times the speed of a USB drive makes a big difference.  I can
remove it and use the optical drive if I need it ..but to be honest in a
year and a half I have used the optical drive maybe twice.  Nowadays you can
install off of the network/usb key a lot faster then optical media, and a
320GB internal sata laptop drive can go for 60 bucks.  So for 110 bucks I
get much faster speed then a external device and less "stuff" to carry in my
bag.

Sean

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Roger W. Broseus <rogerb@bronord.com>wrote:

> Bryan had a laptop with two drives. What brand(s) / models allow for this?
> believe that I could do so with my Thinkpad if I substituted a HD adapter
> for
> the optical drive but this knocks that out of use.
>
> --
> Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
>    Email: RogerB@bronord.com
>    Web Site: www.bronord.com

Roger,

  My .02 cents here and I am just guessing but it was probably a Thinkpad
T60/61 or one of the T500 series, I use one of these (T500) with a device
Lenovo calls an "ultrabay" so I can remove my optical drive for the second
HD. The ultrabay might have cost 50 bucks from Lenovo
My use case is simple ..I run quite a few virtual machines to do testing and
the like and having your guests/isos/install directories on a second drive
with 2-3 times the speed of a USB drive makes a big difference.  I can
remove it and use the optical drive if I need it ..but to be honest in a
year and a half I have used the optical drive maybe twice.  Nowadays you can
install off of the network/usb key a lot faster then optical media, and a
320GB internal sata laptop drive can go for 60 bucks.  So for 110 bucks I
get much faster speed then a external device and less "stuff" to carry in my
bag.

--
Sean R. Spurrier