[Novalug] Ubuntu upgrade question

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Wed Jul 21 17:39:52 EDT 2010

On 7/6/2010 9:24 AM, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> Another thing I discovered is that the ubuntu.iso images have to be
> saved on regular cd's - not cdrw. So far - apparently between errors in
> downloading and burning to a cdrw - I have not acheived a bootable cd of
> Ubuntu lucid.

Well, they don't HAVE to. But I have noticed that CDRWs are often a more
tempermental media. Perhaps this is because they tend to get reused, and
by the time we pull them out again, they are dirtier.

I switched to RWs because I am tired of throwing more plastic away...and
I have a stack of old Linux distros (as well as other stuff). They cost
about double, so if you reuse them once you break even.

But your own experience was interesting, because I had spent all
afternoon attempting to get a good burn of a Lucid ISO. Usually I use
K3B or a Windows program (RecordNow or Nero), but I was trying to simply
use cdrecord directly. RTFM didn't help much, and I found myself cursing
all that low-level crap...don't tell me about disk-at-once,
track-at-once, mode 1, mode 2, cue sheets, etc, etc ... just tell me how
to burn a dang ISO. I wasn't using a Windows system, so I couldn't even
fire up a web page (I hate lynx et al). Finally, I did get a good burn
on a CD-RW, but it was a Brand New Blank, pulled from the middle of my
stack.

Anyway, it was shortly after this that I posted my careless article
about yum vs apt-get.

Perhaps it  might have been better to back away from the keyboard and go
for a walk as John Anderson suggested.

But continuing in my LVM experiments, I did the following. I did a
Command Line System install into a LV named ubu1004, and went thru and
added a bunch of cool stuff via dselect. Then I made two snapshots, one
called gubu1004 and another called kubu1004 and tasksel'ed the Ubuntu
Desktop and KDE Desktop into them respectively.

The only think I am worried about is that if the snapshot fills up, it
is rumored to die, so I am wondering if there is any way of dissociating
the snapshot from its source. Is there, other than making a complete new
copy? And what happens if I delete the parent?

JIM