[Novalug] LVM query

Brander Snaxe brandon20va@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 21:08:16 EDT 2010

What is the first track problem you mention? Is this something to do with LVM alignment? I have read about this before when dealing with filesystem alignment with RAID5 stripes. Also it comes into play with LVM. And it always comes into play with SSD drives apparently.

I assume that for plain LVM or for LVM+RAID (no striping) that the mis-alignment problem would be so negligible that worrying about is moot.

Just curious.

Also, for anybody using LVM with XFS, forget about it unless you have a battery backed controller. LVM ignores barrier/nobarrier options on top of software RAID (at least it did when I last tried about 6 months ago).