[Novalug] [Ma-linux] Fedora 13 Install

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Jul 19 17:31:58 EDT 2010

On 7/19/2010 4:16 PM, American Dave Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 03:47:09PM -0400, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
>
>>     Who cares? Yum is 'mostly equivalent' to apt-get. Both take 'install',
>>     'remove', and 'update'. I can't remember if apr-get does 'search', or
>>     whether you need another command for that.
>>     Just learn yum, or at least the basic subset.
>>
> A user that uses Debian might care.
Please be advised that whatever distinction you draw can be tweaked by
my fuzzy definition of 'mostly equivalent' to be on whatever side of the
fence needed to make the user 'not care'. And I doubt that much tweaking
is necessary. You could do much worse than to
alias apt-get=yum and pretend the two commands were identical.

Stop splitting hairs...Look at the Forest and Not the Trees.
>    Yum isn't Debian's
> package manager, even though you can use Apt to manage Fedora.  'update'
> on Yum is very different from 'update' on Apt.
I don't recall it being all that different, but if so, please enlighten us.
> You'll likely find an equivalent to 'yum list' with Debian's
> 'apt-cache', though I only use yum list when testing custom Yum
> repositories.
>
> I find 'yum search<pkg>' and 'apt-cache search<pkg>' most useful.

You see? I couldn't remember the exact command name, but there is one.
One would hope they were similar too.