[Novalug] What is IBus?

Jeff Stoner leapfrog@freeshell.org
Mon Jul 19 08:37:03 EDT 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Jay Hart wrote:

> Yes, I looked at the website:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/ibus/
>
> and still couldn't figure it out.
>
> Reason I'm asking is that is it part of the base Fedora 13 install, and I want
> to remove apps I won't be using.  Less stuff to update later on.

Found buried in the comments to the ReadMe:

To Mr Bradley, ibus is an simple to use IME and alternative to Scim (which
I never got to work on any Linux version from Red Hat over Suse to
Ubuntu). It allows you to input Chinese, Korean and Japanese character
(and the idea is that you can make your own tables to add your Input
Methode) into Linux. I am usung it under Ubuntu 9.10 and it works OK.
There are a few issues but I am sure these will be solved. I hope that
helps you forward.

--Jeff

"You cannot unsay a cruel word." - Unknown