[Novalug] OT: Broadband penetration

rarob@travelinglightfarm.net rarob@travelinglightfarm.net
Tue Jul 6 15:21:53 EDT 2010

I wish there were different options as well.  We're also out in the sticks
(west of Leesburgh) and our internet options were:
- cell phone
- satellite
- dialup
- radio broadband (RoadStar Internet)

Cell was a non-starter initially due to lack of signal (1 bar outside on
the porch, no-service in various rooms)

Satellite doesn't work for me due to bandwidth caps (I was  downloading
linux distros multiple time per month at 4GB a pop [ cap was 5GB/month] )

Dialup is painful.  'nuf said.

Roadstar is doable, and I'm very grateful that we have had that option.
We're running about 1Mb/s down (according to SpeakEasy).  Enough to most
stuff we do (even supported VPN [barely] during the blizzard).

Neither Comcast nor Verizon indicated any interest in running a high speed
line to us, even though I believe Comcast does now run cable to the
neighborhood immediately behind our house (and that only within the last
year or so).  I've been told though that the franchise agreement with one
both of these companies requires them to run service to any
development/region with a high enough population density (and that we've
recently hit that number), but don't know for sure if the franchise
agreement actually was worded this way.

When would get me highly irked is when I read articles on a
town/city/municipality that would plan to implement some sort of broadband
for their residents and then get sued by a telco.  Seems to me that if the
telco decides (for whatever reason) to not implement broadband in an area
then they shouldn't be able to prevent someone else from doing so.
Ok, I'll get off my soapbox for the moment...

-R