[Novalug] [Ma-linux] CDRW not working

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Jul 5 14:22:01 EDT 2010

You mean besides "You Just Ain't Livin' Right"?

You never did mention the motherboard. How new is it? And has this
combination ever worked?

One thing I have found on very old equipment...Rewritable Media will not
boot. I had this laptop that would only boot from a CD-R (and presumably
from a CD-ROM) media, even tho it could read anything under Linux.

I would do you memtest in another computer, as well as test the optical
elsewhere too.

Also, be aware that there are several methods of terminating an IDE
drive...you can put a jumper on Master, Slave, Cable Select, or Nowhere
(if the drive is the only device).

And of course, your BIOS has to be set up to either boot the CD before
the disk, or maybe you can hit a key to select a boot device.

JIM