[Novalug] How to backup /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00

John Holland jbholland@gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 17:15:02 EST 2010

If you boot off a Red Hat/Centos install disk and enter "linux rescue" at
the prompt, it will put you in a shell with the existing root filesystem
mounted at /mnt/sysimage
(if you tell it to)
-- assuming the filesystem is intact and the rescue system finds it when it
looks at your system.

In the process leading up to this, you have the option to get on a network.
By doing that, or by having some other place to put the tar file that you
can mount (ie thumb or external drive), you should be able to do something
like

#tar -czvf .......<someplace>...../oldroot.tar.gz     /mnt/sysimage