[Novalug] dumb question #3

Nino Pereira pereira@speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 12 21:22:07 EST 2010

> Ignore my comment about regex's for now, since you are already
> generating your own output format with C#.
>
> You want to visualize data, and that's cool.  My point was that
> you don't need to involve a spreadsheet.  A spreadsheet is likely
> and unnecessary, fat and bloated step.  Although OpenOffice.org
> is a modular LGPL library (not merely just a suite of applications),
> even it's still bloated here.

Actually, since you mention visualization, my question about
importing data files into a spread sheet came about because I
wanted to visualize data. I use grace, or rather xmgrace, which
is a wonderful program for the purpose. It can do all kinds of
things within one data file, but, I couldn't figure out how to
subtract two data files from each other, which I also wanted to
do. Rather than writing a little fortran program that picks up
the files, does its thing, and then spits out the results I thought
I'd do it with a spread sheet.

Since I now learned oodles of ways to get things into spreadsheets
I'll start using this way of doing things more.

Again, thanks for all your help. It was a pleasure to see that almost
everyone stayed on topic rather than diverting into one rant or another.

Nino