[Novalug] dumb question2

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:49:50 EST 2010

Last time I went thru this, I wrote a java program that ran SQL queries against
an Oracle database, converted the retrieved records into comma-delimited lines
of text, then wrapped the data into the records which make up an Excel file.
And by file, I mean a file exactly as Excel itself saves data -
including all the
worksheet metadata like column headings, data types, numeric formatting,
column widths, etc.   Oddly enough, my supervisor thought it was a waste of
time, and insisted that he could buy software to do this.  He was wrong, and
left the company.  He also left our manager holding the bag on a contract which
we were unable to deliver on.  I had finished my project on my own time, gave
it to him, and saved his butt on that project.  I got a whopping 100 bucks award
for three weekends of my time ( and got laid off eventually anyway). I REALLY
wish this could have been done using a few linux command line statements. :P

Ed James
(former Java Software Engineer)