[Novalug] F12 - several issues

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 12:45:46 EST 2010

>You might want to look at your Yahoo Mail settings to see if there's a
>way to do proper quoting in replies.  It's really hard to distinguish
>your replies from other parts of the thread otherwise.

Me bad !!
Couldn't find a setting to include All the text when I hit the
FF/yahoo reply button. It includes just a wee bit of body.  So I cut
and repasted without adding in extra ">" ..

aside:
My yahoo classic has changed a couple times in the last year
slightly.  I looked at the mail option  menu and they snuck in a new
button about enabling updates and connections...  I just no unchecked it.

>There's no good reason to use yumdownloader to download a binary RPM
>if all you want to do is to install it.  Just use yum itself -- it
[snip]

My preference is to
1. look at the urls and know where some things are.
2. keep for myself the rpm files in a handy place.
sometimes theres something I want to examine ina package.

>Some people wonder why there's not just a checkbox somewhere for you
>to click to enable legally questionable stuff, such as
[...snip...]

thx, I'm aware of this.
I watch the incredibly silly legal rulings regarding links,
which basically say WHERE to find info..  Beats me how this
is a legal problem.  The IP ( intellectual property ) system
is seriously broke.  I see the EFF doing work that other traditional
organizations used to do.
But, then, ya'll know that...

>You could also look at the output of 'dmesg' to see if there's a
>particular error that's happened to precipitate or signal the failure.

thx!

>As noted above, you could just do 'yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad'
>and the installation would just happen.  For that matter, it's
>probably even easier just to use the GUI Add/Remove Software tool and
>search for 'gstreamer' or 'gstreamer-plugins-bad' to point and click
>your way through the process.  No need for a CLI really, and certainly
>no need to manually download and then painstakingly install things by
>hand.

I think the system is great.
I'll probably graduate to it in the future.
It's kinda masocistically interesting watching the myriad
of file packages that are needed, and their relationships...

thanks,