[Novalug] Two Karmic questions

Margret Treiber margret@live-evil.com
Thu Feb 11 11:10:21 EST 2010

Hi all!

I hope everyone is surviving the weather okay!

I am still loving my UNR Karmic MSI U100.  It really rocks.  I just  have
two questions.  The first question is about DVD burning.  I have an external
Samsung DVD burner and it is being detected by Ubuntu, but when I try to use
DVD Styler, I had no luck.  The software doesn't see the device.  When I
tried to use Brasero, it said I was missing the correct plugins, but I did a
quick web search and could not find a place to get the pluggins.  What is a
good utility to convert AVIs to DVD and burn to disc?  I used Convert-to-DVD
when I used XP.  I'd like something that is simple to use.  I don't feel
like having to tweak every single DVD I burn.  :)

The second question is this; do I have to run the security updates?  I fixed
my USB, card reader and webcam with a beta patch.  It worked great.  Then I
let the system do the automatic security updates.  Everything broke.  Then a
Linux header/kernel update showed up the next day.  I ran it and everything
is fine again.  Can I safely blow off the security updates for a while?  I
like having a working system.

Thank you all!

Margret