[Novalug] F12 driver gui? was: B43 driver & Ubuntu USB drive

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 11:35:30 EST 2010

[Novalug] B43 driver & Ubuntu USB drive

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Rich Goodwin
<Rich.Goodwin at pinnaclepointtechnologies.com> wrote:
> (HP Pavilion not DELL).  Seems the HP uses a B43 legacy driver which did
> not work at initial configuration.  I have played with a number of
> things but to no avail.  This is a double fun one since neither wired
> nor wireless are working ... I presume both interfaces are Broadcom
> based so I can't let the system do an apt-get install.

If you create a startup disk using usb-creator-gtk (System >
Administration > Startup Disk Creator) with one of the official Ubuntu
install iso images, I know you can use jockey-gtk (System >
Administration > Hardware Drivers) to install the Broadcom STA (wl)
driver. This driver is proprietary, non-Free, etc.

Best,
-Dan
--------

Anyone know about a gui admin for hardware drivers from a gui
in F12 ??  There used to be one in an earlier version, but
I don't know the package name.  Or should I stick to some CLI
like lspci .... ?

I spent time trying to get the ethernet driver right on
this fairly new install.  I eventually did get it but
it took a few Hours.

also:
It'd be nice if I could change parameters on the display driver.
I don't like the looks of the color display, and would prefer to
set brightness/contrast properly in the driver rather than
the buttons on the monitor itself.  reference: my display is
different from a color/contrast/brightness perspective than the
F10 driver. OR maybe I should select another driver.... aren't
there now two driver "systems" ??? the X system and the
newer "kernel" system..

thx,
Walt....