[Novalug] update from Ubuintu Karmic to Lucid - MySQL not working now

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Fri Dec 31 11:39:13 EST 2010

happy last day of december

Last time I updated my Ubuntu distro a lot of stuff stopped working.

This time the main problem was no network access and no mysgl server.

Googled the solution to the no network access (will see if solution still
works after a reboot). It seems you can loose your network settings if you
hibernate - bummer.

So far not solvd Mysql problem

here is error:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I do have a customized myslq install. after i lost mysql and its files
when I went from jaunty to karmic i modified mysql so that the files are
in a subdirectory under /home/bdz/ rather than being under root.

i looked at the mysql conf file and it is the way it was when things
were working under karmic so i has to be some other setting I now have
discover and change.

suggestions are welcome

i used the upgrade from Update Manager path which is the one Ubuntu
reccommends.
                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com