[Novalug] Need name of a command

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Thu Dec 23 18:46:42 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 05:04:49PM -0500, Jay Hart wrote:

> > On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:06,  <cmhowe@patriot.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm having a senior moment. What is the name of the command that changes
> >> permissions? I need to mv a file from one directory to another.
> >
> > When you have these moments, try the -k flag on man, as in:
> >
> > $ man -k permissions
> >
> > If your keyword database has been properly constructed, that should
> > get you a list of the commands whose descriptions include the word
> > permissions.  That might spark an "oh, yeah, that's the one!" moment.
> >
> > -Dave
> >
> I tried this on my Fedora box:
>
> [Jhart@fedora ~]$ man -k permissions
> Tcl_Access           (3)  - check file permissions and other attributes
> Tcl_Access [Tcl_Stat] (3)  - check file permissions and other attributes
> Tcl_Stat             (3)  - check file permissions and other attributes
> Tcl_Stat [Tcl_Access] (3)  - check file permissions and other attributes
> console.perms [console] (5)  - permissions control file for users at the
> system console
> pam_console_apply    (8)  - set or revoke permissions for users at the system
> console
>
> Guess my db is not properly constructed???
>
> Jay

No, the manpage author did not include the word "permissions"
in the "NAME" section of the manpage.

For chmod the NAME section is:

  NAME
       chmod - change file mode bits

These 5 words would be indexed in the db.
Note your man -k output is simply the NAME lines
for the listed commands with the manual section
number added.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com