[Novalug] 8 pair or 12 pair Cat5e cables

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon Dec 20 18:39:10 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 14:31 -0500, American Dave Kline wrote:

> > Safety is one thing, but I find performance to be the more important factor.  I have enough neighbors broadcasting on all the wireless frequencies and stomping on my network traffic.  At home, I have a couple printers on the wireless, and my phone and the iPad and my friends phones, and the Wii and PS3 and and and.  The airwaves are full.  Moving to 5GHz N helps, but I know it's only a matter of time before that's full, too.
>
> Agreed.  Wireless networks typically are good for browsing, etc, though
> they're terrible for sending multi-gigabyte files over a network.  I
> wired my last house once I was doing a lot of video editing.

The exact same reason I have my house wired and a giga-switch hub. Of
course it doesn't help that my linksys router is "strange" and seems to
selectively choose who it wants to talk to and when.

> Trying to send 50G of DV across a wireless link was an exercise in
> patience.

Hah. Try downloading 30G of DV from a video camera on a USB 1.1 (yeah!!)
connection. That's "fun". (not).

> I prefer wired networks for reliability and speed.

Definitely. I have an iSCSI/NFS/Samba storage network that I use for
backups, pictures etc. Without cabled/gigabit connectivity that simply
wouldn't be an option.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen