[Novalug] 8 pair or 12 pair Cat5e cables

Miguel González Castaños miguel_3_gonzalez@yahoo.es
Mon Dec 20 10:14:47 EST 2010

On 20/12/2010 15:04, jerry w wrote:
> Why not go up to fibre?
> for less bulk, higher bandwidth and interference
> not to mention wiring a house / building is a long term
> investment...
>

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Nick Danger<nick@hackermonkey.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/19/2010 11:44 PM, Jay Hart wrote:
>>> Looking to start wiring the house up.  For many of the rooms I want to install
>>> 2-3 ports.  Instead of running 2 or 3 separate cat5e cables, thought I would
>>> see if I can find one cable that has 8 or 12 pairs of wire and separate out on
>>> the ends and terminate.
>>>
>>> I am looking at buying a 1000ft roll of this type of cable.
>>>
>>> Has anyone used anything like this, and/or do you know where I could procure
>>> this item.  I have found one place that sells 25 pair cable by at $600+ for
>>> the roll that is out of my price range.
>> I have never seen 8 or 12 pair cat 5. I have only seen the 50 pair and I
>> don't even think that is rated since its usually telco interconnect
>> class. My suggestion is to pull multiple wires, and color code them. You
>> can get Cat5e in some crazy colors these days, so if you have to pull 3,
>> pull 3 and make each a different color :-)
I don't know if fiber is a cheap choice (and these cables are pretty
weak, they can easily break). I'd go for cat6. If your house is big
enough, you will be greatful. As cat5e, it's meant to be used for
gigabit networks but It has better bandwidth with long cabling (less
losses) and I guess it performs better. Remember that cat5e in >100 m
cables it doesn't perform well in gigabit networks.

Miguel