[Novalug] Git vs HG vs Bazaar vs Darcs vs ??? -- was two way sync

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Mon Dec 6 23:04:00 EST 2010

  Bingo! We have hit the Trifecta! Three people saying the same thing.
You need a VCS.

However svn over ssh will work nicely if you can designate a Central
Repo. In fact, I have been carrying around my SVN Repo on a flash drive
for 130 revisions.
I finally put it on a host at work and did a "svn switch --relocate
file:///svn svn+ssh://server.at.work/svn" and it worked quite nicely.

But assuming you want a DCVS...who prefers what and why?

I'm leaning towards Git because of Linus and GitHub, but I could be
swayed otherwise, maybe.

Sway Away.

JIM

P.S. To answer Fredrik's first question: You assume that the younger
copy is the Master and hope that only one copy is modified.
You could also record a local backup copy when a change is made and
table any updates received (think: .rpmnew) to a locally modified copy,
but now you are reimplementing a VCS.