[Novalug] LVM query

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Tue Aug 31 20:31:17 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 05:33:19PM -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 16:48 -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > > Jon,
> > > did you change/set the lvm.conf file to scan for usb devices? By
> > default
> > > it will not do that, and hence it will not automatically mount them.
> > >

> > No, I made no changes to lvm.conf (this is on Fedora 13).  A
> > search for usb|USB showed those strings do not exist in my lvm.conf.
> > I also tried external, remote, and a few other terms but nothing
> > showed up related to "external drives".
>
> That would explain why swapping the drives around confused it. Actually,
> I would argue that rebooting without swapping the drives would confuse
> LVM. You need to set "filter" to include (or not exclude) the usb
> devices. You may also look at "preferred_names" to make sure it looks
> for particular usb and other devices.

Here are the preferred_names and filter lines.  Unchanged by me.

    # Try to avoid using undescriptive /dev/dm-N names, if present.
    preferred_names = [ "^/dev/mpath/", "^/dev/mapper/mpath", "^/dev/[hs]d" ]

    # By default we accept every block device:
    filter = [ "a/.*/" ]

So far, the USB drives are receiving /dev/sd[ef] names.  So they would match
both these rules.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing