[Novalug] Verizon Residential FIOS Service

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Tue Aug 31 00:05:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:27:54PM -0400, Scott Musman wrote:
> See comments in-line below, for my experience.
>
> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 20:30 -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> > Good evening list:
> >
> > Need some info:
> >
> > 1. I assume using FIOS service (or any internet service really) it is possible
> > to redirect smtp traffic to a port other then 25 and still receive email?  The
> > MX record would point to port 587 or some other port to continue to receive
> > email?  Anyone doing this?
> >

> Officially it's not allowed in your usage agreement, although I have
> some ports open to allow me into my house. I suspect that so long as you
> use a sufficiently non standard port and the traffic level is relatively
> low they turn a blind eye.

I started with FIOS 2.5 years ago.  I've not looked back at it again, but
I recall being pleasantly surprised by the wording.  As I recall it said
something like 'will not run any internet services in such a way as to
impact in a negative way any other verizon users'.

> > 4. I assume a hardwire connection is possible with their FIOS unit?  Does it
> > play nice with Open Source OSes?
> >

> I presume that you're asking whether their router has both wired and
> wireless connections. If so, the answer is yes. The only problem I have
> had is that with their new router by linux boxes don't seem to identify
> themselves properly with DHCP. the always show up in the routers DNS as
> new-host, new-host-1, etc. I need to fix this, but haven't figured it
> out yet.. As a work around FTM I just plugged in my old wireless router
> and it doesn't have the same problem.

I've got a mix of systems with DHCP and static addresses.  But the DHCP
ones are always given the same IP by the FIOS router.  You can enter the
MAC address and desired IP address.  Then also enter that address and
the host name in the router's DNS system.  These need to be done when
the host you are working with is not active on some other address, i.e.
does not have a currently used lease.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com