[Novalug] Monitor Resolution

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Thu Aug 26 11:15:01 EDT 2010

On 8/4/2010 11:44 AM, Dan Arico wrote:
> I mistyped something. I need to get 1600x900 resolution.
> I tried adding it to xorg.conf. Unfortunately, that is generated on the fly so
> any changes I make just disappear. Also, X-configure doesn't appear to exist
> on this system.
>
> Dan

Not if you set the immutable bit on it! Or save a copy and put it back
yourself.

Put "cd /etc/X11; cp xorg.good xorg.conf" in /root/.bash_profile. You
will have to log in on a VC first, then kill the X server via
CTRL-ALT-BS everytime you reboot, or every time yast or sax decides to
"help" you by generating flies. Maybe you can trace
the parts of the system that actually do that and comment then out,
assuming the yast helpers are scripts?!? If they are not, maybe you
can replace that file with an empty shell script.

Find an xorg.conf file that works (try an Ubuntu or Fedora distro).
Unfortunately, this is a case of chicken-and-egg. New hardware
comes out, and the specs are later captured in some magic hardware
files. The key words here is "later", and you will either have
the needed magic entry of not. Sometimes you can get the right effect by
specifying the correct aspect ratio and using the generic
models. I usually fool with it for half an hour or so; either I get
lucky or I give up. Sometimes I find something that is halfway in
between what I want and what I expect.

There are other files too...one has modelines in it...maybe you can
steal the right entry from a system that works.