[Novalug] LVM On Top Of Software RAID

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Sun Aug 8 13:59:31 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 13:06 -0400, American Dave Kline wrote:
> Unless consumer boards have changed recently, most still aren't fully
> hardware RAID.  Usually what's on a consumer board is known as FakeRAID,
> since it's not a true hardware RAID controller, though it has some
> functionality.  An old test was whether you could create a bootable
> RAID5 array.

I fully agree with you there. Even raid0 can cause problems with
fake-raid. It's really a misnormer to call it hardware raid. It's like
"win-modems" where the logic/functionality comes from the driver made
for windows only.

> Much of the advice for Linux was to avoid Fake RAID at all costs, and
> to use software RAID via mdadm.  Things may have changed, though the
> Google seems to still agree with me.

On my 1 year old laptop that's definitely the case too. Part of the
problem is, that Fedora uses grub legacy which isn't fake-raid aware at
all. I spend a weekend trying to get grub2 to do what it was supposed to
do, but no luck. Because it was raid0 the boot process got confused to
which disk a given segment was stored on.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
> Alan Cox wrote:
[..]

No I didnt.  Someone else wrote that.  Please keep attributions
straight.
	-- From linux-kernel