[Novalug] fanless (or very quiet) tiny linux server?

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:58:58 EDT 2010

Thanks to this thread and after doing some online searches and reading, I've
gone ahead and ordered a tonidoplug.  No idea when it'll actually show up,
I'm going to try using it for a simple in-house NAS replacement for a WD
WorldBook that is having reliability problems.  Full report after it arrives
and I have it working (or not).  In the meanwhile, I started playing with
their remote access web-based client application that you can install on a
desktop system.  Has all the pluses and minuses of a web-top interface.
I'll note that the stock product seems to lack SSL support (or I haven't
figured out how to enable it or it requires purchasing and installing an SSL
cert from them, a 3rd party, or rolling your own).

Anyone have hands-on experience with tonido or any of the other plug
computer devices?

Here's a list of real and claimed plug computer vendors and models I've been
able to find:

*Globalscale*:
Sheeva Plug (development kit), shipping
GuruPlug Server, Guru Plug Server Plus (both shipping)
GuruPlug Display (I agree w Raul - HDMI output - myth frontend?) -
announced, orderable soon?

SheevaPlug 3 - announced, pretty pictures on the plug computing web site,
can't find anyone actually shipping or taking pre-orders.

*SheevaPlug 2 resellers/VARs*:
TonidoPlug:  Comes with variety of file sharing and remote access apps,
taking orders for shipment any day now
PogoPlug:  Available from several retail sources (Amazon, Newegg), oriented
towards file sharing

Ionics:  Variety of plug-based products, one with internal hard disk.  Only
the basic product, Nimbus 100, is orderable.

CTERA Cloud Plug:  Looks like a basic plug configured as a NAS as a
front-end to a "cloud" based remote-storage service that is probably their
real product.

Steve