[Novalug] RHEL 6.0 Public Beta

Bob Copeland me@bobcopeland.com
Thu Apr 22 16:31:23 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Greg F <gregfaust@gmail.com> wrote:

> On a separate note, has anyone on this list successfully compiled "Linus
> From Scratch" (LFS)?  I was looking at the LFS 6.6 book and thinking about
> giving it a try.  Grazing through it, I think there might be a few subtle
> details missing that will result in build failures, for example, when
> configuring the build directory, it seems they leave out the step to create
> the directory and set permissions but then use the directory in subsequent
> steps.  If glaring things like this are missing, I'm wondering if I'll get
> 90% of the way through and get stuck.

I did LFS recently (I believe it was 6.4, and I did it about 3
months ago).  Except for a couple of packages not being available
at the stated URLs, I didn't have any problems... Well, once I
rebooted and forgot to redo the bind mount so I wiped out a couple
of packages on the host system, but otherwise it was pretty
easy.

There's a section in early part of the manual where they tell you
the global assumptions for each build, such as 'make a directory
with the package name and change into the directory' -- it is
only stated once and assumed for the rest of the manual, so
perhaps this is what you saw.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com