[Novalug] Samba / Old Ubuntu installation

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Wed Apr 21 11:45:29 EDT 2010

For Samba, virtualization will be absolutely no bottleneck.  It also
makes recovery much easier, should the server be unable to boot.

As far as "no domain," that's never a good idea.  Even Microsoft
doesn't recommend such for Small-to-Medium Businesses (SMB,
and hasn't for a good decade).  Running dnsmasq is cake, it just
reads the /etc/hosts file and shares it out as DNS.  ;)

-- Bryan

P.S.  The server doesn't have issues with an USB drive attached?
I've always had an issue with such over a few days, because USB
... well ... just sucks.  ;)

----- Original Message ----

From: linuxbodger <roberthp@pldsllc.com>

Bryan,

This is a client that only calls me when I am needed.  For this reason,
I want to make their system as simple as possible.  They operate with a
single file server which could EASILY be a simple file server with no
domain necessary.

They all have XP on their desks and a VPN for remote access.  Backups
are a USB drive directly connected to the server.  This is not running
Apache or anything else.