[Novalug] Ubuntu LTS for web/email server

Kevin Chin kevinchin5@gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:54:54 EDT 2010

As consumers of the OS, we of course want the ISV and IHV to say they will
support whatever version of the OS with whatever application we want to
install.  As a practical matter however, an IHV or ISV can not do this.  It
is costly to do this, and directly impacts the potential for customer sat,
and thereby future business.  So they specify a subset of OS's... and
because they don't want to have to retest/certify for each minor rev, they
typically choose enterprise supported or LTS versions of an OS.

I agree with Bryan, ISV/IHV certs are a big advantage in my book.  Again,
it's not to say that you can't get those ISV/IHV products to work on your
non-certified OS, but generally it should work more smoothly since the
ISV/IHV has tried it before.  More importantly if there's a problem, the
ISV/IHV support folks can actually provide a higher level of support
experience than if it isn't certified if you use a certified OS. If you
desire enterprise support, this fact can't be overlooked. If you're a
self-support kind of shop, it may not be nearly as important to you.

James, I'll say that it would be nice if the development platforms were
known for all apps, but even if it is, that's no guarantee that it will
drive an OS decision.  Most ISV/IHVs are agnostic when it comes to the OS.
For example, SAP is an app who's reference platform is SUSE Linux, but the
majority of customers running SAP are running it on Windows OS (many run it
on Linux, but not most).  Despite this fact, I am not expecting a mass
migration of SAP from Windows to SLES anytime soon.

HTH,
--Kc