[Novalug] Samba / Old Ubuntu installation

LinuxBodger linuxbodger@gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:40:59 EDT 2010

Good evening folks,

I have an issue I hope I can get some assistance with solving.

I have a client running a Samba server on Ubuntu 5.10.  The server was not
upgraded to 6.06 as there were issues with the megaraid controller driver
that weren't solved until later versions.  My client has now purchased a new
DELL server with the Perc 6/i RAID card.  I have been asked to replace the
old server with the new.

The current samba installation uses tdbsam and NOT LDAP so I don't believe I
can set the new machine up as a BDC to replicate.

My first thought was to clone the original server to the new server and then
do an in-place upgrade of the OS.  That would eliminate the issues with
machine accounts and keep me from having to touch each desktop machine to
reconnect to the domain.  Unfortunately, teh cloned installation does not
see the current RAID array, so I am unable to get it to boot.  If anyone can
tell me how to pass on a controller driver to the kernel to boot, I would
appreciate it.

My second attempt to was to use a backup server (identical to the original)
and do an in-place OS upgrade prior to recloning and restoring to the new
server.  Unfortunately, during the upgrade process I discovered that 6.06
won't recognize my network card.  This of course prevents further upgrades
until a new card is installed and tested.  I still don't know if this will
work in the end.

My third idea is to do a full LTS installation on the new server and
move/copy the machine accounts from the old machine to the new machine.  Is
this even possible?

I have spent an awful lot of time (hours and hours) working on this and not
getting anywhere.  I am getting really tired of recloning and rebooting
machines and waiting for the arrays to come up etc.  Any thoughts and
assistance would be appreciated!

Robert